Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Buffy Comic Project: "New Kid on the Block, Part 2"



Buffy the Vampire Slayer # 7

(Dark Horse) (Volume 1, 1998-2003)

Creators: Andi Watson & Dan Brereton (writers); Hector Gomez (penciller); Sandu Florea (inker)

Setting: Season Two

T.V. Character Appearances: Buffy, Xander, Willow, Cordelia, Angel

Major Original Characters: Cynthia (new girl/demon)

Summary: Buffy manages to fend off the "pizza-delivery" vampires with the help of Xander, who explains that he decided to crash the pajama-party because he "had a vision." Angel arrives and explains to Buffy that Cynthia is the mortal daughter of the head vampire, and that she often plays the "new girl" in order to set up a feast for her dad and his friends. However, when they confront Cynthia, it turns out she's not quite so mortal after all: instead, she's a massive demon, straight from the Hellmouth. Buffy and the Scoobies manage to fend off the Cynthia-Demon until suddenly the ground cracks and erupts in flames, pulling the monster below the ground. Angel explains that "The Hellmouth reclaimed its own" and Willow starts thinking up excuses for why there's a pit where the family swimming pool used to be.

Review: Cynthia being in league with the vampires was expected, though the reveal that she's a strange, heretofore unseen type of demon was an odd twist. The ending was also unusual, as it implies a certain method or sentience to the Hellmouth that I don't think has been seen before or since on the show. Still, I think two-part or longer stories are probably a good idea, as the comic needs more space to establish its villains before Buffy sends them to the great beyond.

Notes

* I think in my post about Part 1, I said the slumber party was at the Summers' house; in fact it's at the Rosenberg residence, sans parents.

* If I had the money and could travel back in time, the advertisements would allow me to walk down the street wearing a Buffy t-shirt and Buffy hat, while checking the time on a Buffy watch and carrying a Buffy journal. When I got home, I would see my Buffy doorknob hanger on the front door and pull out my Buffy keychain to get inside. After doing a couple of quick shots in my Buffy shotglass, I would sit down and read ten different Buffy novels. I would then be the ultimate Buffy nerd in the galaxy.

* I like the design on the Cynthia-demon, especially the head tendrils.

Next Issue

1 comment:

The Wife said...

You are already the ultimate Buffy nerd, sweetheart. But I love you anyway and in fact, encourage your obsession. Still, I should warn you that it is possible that fewer of those things you "could" have bought would be displayed in our home than you think.